Tuesday, October 2, 2012

World Book

Oh my goodness!  Stop the presses!  On Facebook, someone posted a picture of World Book encyclopedia (see bottom of this post). I just had to post about WB encycyclopedia in our home.  Many years ago (1971 or 2), my parents purchased a new set of World Book Encyclopedia for the family. This was at great expense and sacrifice on their parts.  I used those things for yeasr, and I know that Moma and Daddy enjoyed them as well.  Jumping forward to our little family, we found a GREEN set of World Books from about 1960 at a "Friends of the Library" sale about 12 years ago.  They are oh-so-olive green, but just perfect for DS1. His favorite color is green and he has poured over those beloved volumes in the years since.  Later on, we happened upon a fabulous deal for homeschooling families whereby we could purchase a set of Britannica, Childcraft and World Book Encyclopedia for an unbelievable price. We made payments (interest free) for about 2 years, but it was among the best money we ever spent as a family.  As you know, Britannica has ceased publication of this famous encyclopedia, at least in its hardback form.  I am so glad we have these on our shelves.  Having said that, I think DS1 still used his green edition far more often. I can't tell you how many times I have walked in his room and found a stray volume by his bed.
I can't help but think that students are missing something special in this era by not having the joy of finding information in these beautifully bound books.  They added so much to our lives, and continue to do so.
I am grateful for parents who instilled in me that love of learning and for children who are carrying it on.

2 comments:

  1. I had a set of encyclopedias. I loved them!

    Remember the atlas that came with them?

    Remember going to the library to research a term paper and typing it on a typewriter?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, and typing footnotes at the bottom of the page. Yes, our oldest son loves atlases--

    ReplyDelete