Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Dana Girls

 I have decided to start a new collection (just what I need), and I think The Dana Girls may be just the ticket. They share the same "author" as the Nancy Drew series, "Carolyn Keene."  The Dana Girls series were published in two different series, the first from 1934-1968 and then from 1972-1979. The stories involve two orphaned sisters, Jean and Louise Dana.  They reside at the Starhurst School for girls.  The first in the series is By the Light of the Study Lamp.

My understanding is that this series was not quite as popular as the Nancy Drew books. There aren't as many of the editions out there in used book land as there are the Nancy and Hardy Boys series, but I think I have a good shot at collection them if I am careful and smart about how much I pay. I know that I will find the best buys (and the best seller) at Jennifer's "Vintage Series Books for Girls . . . and a Few Boys."   www.series-books.com   

I have a handful now in addition to the first installment:
The Secret at Lone Tree Cottage (1934)
In the Shadow of the Tower (1934)
The Mystery of the Locked Room (1938)
The Sierra Gold Mystery (1961).

Tomorrow is payday, and after making sure we have water and electricity for another month, I may just visit Jennifer's shop. This will be fun!

2 comments:

  1. Awww - I remember reading these books.

    I checked them out every week from our church library and local library - along with Nancy Drew, The Hardy Boys, Cherry Ames, and so many others. I kept a list. I did like my dad - I initialed a page in each book in pencil - so I knew I had been there. I often wonder where those books are now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably in someone's cherished library! Virginia likes Cherry Ames.

    ReplyDelete