Friday, July 6, 2012

Reading


What are you reading these days?  I am reading a novel entitled, Waiting for Willa by Dorothy Eden. It is quite suspenseful, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.  I also purchased a very old Nancy Drew--I'll try to post a photo of it soon.  I happened to be in a bookstore in a neighboring state this past week. This independent bookseller specialized in local authors and in suspense novels. Their definition of suspense was quite different, and I have to admit that I was intrigued by some of the titles.  In fact, I made a mental note of several of the titles to check on Amazon. Once I was away from the store, however, I realized that the titles in which I was interested were not the least bit edifying.  They were harsh stories, involving harsh topics and wrapped in a tempting packages. Waiting for Willa was published around 1969, and it is worldly enough. If I tell our children to be careful what they read, then I have to lead the way.

Many years ago, I read Stephen King novels and thoroughly enjoyed being scared out of my wits. I remember one day sitting in the student union cafeteria of the University I attended. I had just purchased lunch, and I had with me a copy of King's latest novel.  As I began reading, I was immediately pulled into the story.  But I also began feeling an intense heaviness, almost like a physical weight. The feeling was also one of dread.   At this time in my life, my Christian walk was being strengthened by faithful Church attendance and true fellowship with these Believers. Anyway, as I rose to go home, I walked by the trash can to empty my tray, and "on impulse" I threw away the newly-purchased Stephen King novel.  Dear friends, the feelings of heaviness and dread disappeared immediately!  It took me a while to understand it all . . .  The Lord wants us to run from the worldly influences which cloud our judgment and compromise our values.

What are you reading these days, Christian sister?

2 comments:

  1. C.S Lewis is one of my favorite authors and Christian apologists- so I'm really into "The Chronicles of Narnia", right now I'm working on the first book in the series, the Magicians Nephew. I tried to read it a long time ago but I couldn't understand it so I'm trying it again.

    Another thing I'm trying again is "The Pilgrims Progress" by John Bunyan- I attempted it once before but had a hard time following it partly because of the Old English and lack of indentation- although I've never had a hard time understand the KJV Bible's old English. So i'm hoping I can understand it now.
    ...and I'm a sucker for the "SummerHill Secrets" series by Beverly Lewis.. :-)I have the Anne of Green Gables series which I've yet to begin. Soon I'll be reading "The Hiding Place" (about Corrie Ten Boom during World War 2/the holocaust) for school and I look forward to that because I thoroughly enjoy historical settings in both nonfiction and fiction books- although I think I'm attempting to read too many things at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate this sweet post! Thank you. JM and IV said they know the feeling of reading too many things at a time! Your choices are marvelous and they truly glorify the Lord! You're a blessing!

    ReplyDelete