Sunday, February 10, 2013

No More Chaos!

Years ago, my sister-in-law introduced me to Marla Cilley, better known as FlyLady. Mrs. Cilley is a Christian wife and mother who has felt the strain of working and keeping the home. She has developed for us a true system to avoid CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome) and it begins with a clean sink--yes, a clean sink. At the heart of her successful plan is the development of good habits. We all have habits--why not replace the bad ones with the good?  I stuck with the plan for a time, and then the bad habits took over again. When we start cleaning our homes, we can so easily become overwhelmed. Focusing on one small task provides a place to start (often what we are missing).  She also reminds us, "You are not behind; jump in where you are." Those are wonderful words, believe me!

Through some difficulties faced by our family recently, I have felt the Lord tugging at my heart, telling me to draw closer to Him.  Last weekend, my thoughts turned to the best way to do this in the form a morning quiet time. I had maintained this for many years, but I allowed those bad habits to take over again (sleeping for those 30 more minutes, and the thought, "oh, I will do that tonight").  Anyway, as He said, "draw nigh to Me" He also planted that little purple seed in my mind, "why not try FlyLady again?"  I really do believe this came from the Lord.

I began Sunday night with the sink cleaning, and Monday morning with the easy and productive "Kelly's Mission."  My house is not perfect, but it is SOOOOOOOOOO much better. I am not in the midst of CHAOS.  In fact, we had a guest over for some sewing fun on Friday afternoon, and things were pretty much ready for her visit without a frantic attempt to make things presentable.

The Lord knows the desires of our heart. I want our house to be a home that is not "show room ready" but inviting and comfortable for guests and the family living here!  So, thank you, Lord. You are so good to provide this encouragement for me and to draw me closer to Yourself.

Thanks too, to FlyLady. I am really FLY -ing this morning!


6 comments:

  1. Good for you! Miss Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you understand what these things mean to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so understand and can relate. I used to be super organized. Now I can't find my keys half the time.

    I need to tackle our room...closets...all of it!

    I read an article the other day that said if you make your bed in the morning...your day will be more productive. If only my kiddos felt the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I have been working on that one a long time. The little things do go a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've started to do this as well! I need the encouragement and guidance since I've been out of the home for too long. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sink is the real key. So hard to understand how one little thing makes a difference. She even says to put your dirty dishes on the floor if you have to!

    ReplyDelete